Since my hat had a ribbed edge on it, and I’d decided rather than frog the top half of my hat I’d add-on to the bottom brim. I picked a starting point and went around picking up one side to every V-shaped stitch. I picked up my stitches just above where I’d started the ribbing. It was much easier to see the individual stitches that I needed to pick up, and ultimately, easier to pick back the following row.
After getting all the stitches back on the needle, and checking that they were all in the same row, I snipped a stitch TWO rows above (assuming you’re holding the work upside down) the stitches I’d picked up. (Actually, I cut the very next row above and completely regretted it. So please, learn from my frustration.) I then painstakingly picked back the cut row, so that the stitches on the needle were active. This post from Knitting Daily shows this method in better detail.
I had a pretty good tail of yarn still attached to the knitting, so I knit to the end of it and reattached the ball. I’ve measured (like 12 times) and am almost done with the reknitting. On top of that, I finished the “Baaad Sheep” shawlette today too! Pictures and a patter to come, yay!