Electrifying hand dyed yarns, with personality!

Posts tagged ‘fail’

Eww!

Went for some scrap yarn in the older section of the stash the other day. Suddenly, MOTHS!!!

I was horrified! They were all over one skein in particular. Some alpaca silk from a local ranch. (To be fair, it did look dirty when I pulled it off the clearance shelf, and I probably should have washed it as soon as I got it home.) I pulled it out and shook all the disgusting little bugs off outside. I checked the rest of the stash, and except for one ball of novelty acrylic, all seemed well.

I washed the alpaca, letting it soak over night. Once it was dry I wound it up so I could survey the damage. A few breaks, but not nearly as bad as expected. If I can get over the ick factor, I can totally knit with it.

Over a year or two I gathered about 1000 yards of matching yarn from the ranch, including some roving that I hand spun to match it. Now I’m just wondering what I should knit with it.

Living in Southern California, I really don’t need super warm shawls or sweaters. The yarn is really to delicate for a blanket though. Anyone have suggestions?

20140630-151207-54727943.jpg

Advertisements
Image

Well Rats…

20130706-222142.jpgTonight was supposed to be so much easier than this!  I had just gotten my new interchangeable circulars in the mail, but they are the wrong size!!!

As you can see, I am attempting to cope with the cards I have been delt.  Of corse, it is all my fault.  I didn’t double check the size of the dpns I had been using when I ordered my new circulars.  Now, I must keep plodding along on my hat (made of my new hand spun!!!) on dpns that can barley keep all the stitches on.  *sigh*  Guess I’ll be finishing this hat before I head off on our road trip.

On a good note, I’m loving my hand spun!  I got 110 yards out of 1/2 a pound of random wool (can’t remember what it is for the life of me), and I still have another 1/2 pound of hand dyed fluff to spin up.  Unless someone steals this hat from me, that other 1/2 pound may end up in my Etsy shop 😀

What projects are keeping you up tonight?

What a Slacker!

Ya, that whole thing about posting more… so much for that I guess.  I did however just have my 1 year blogaversary!  So yay to that!  Now if only I could get this baby schedule thing down so that I have time to not only post, but have the time to knit something TO blog about!

So, while I wait for that fantasy “sometime” to show up, here’s a picture I never posted of Josh’s finished hat and scarf!

He looks so happy :P

He looks so happy 😛

Sadly the scarf continues to roll up a bit on the sides, despite more than one blocking and ironing >:/

The hat, as you may recall, had the issue of being a tad too short.  Hence the funny cast off edge.  But, the boy wanted as plain a hat as I could make, so that’s what he got.  The set went with him on the last two cold weather trips of the gig, and I’m assuming *causeinevergotapicture* that they were worn.  Oh well, at least I think I knit him a useful gift.

***

In shop news, Etsy did a funny thing and deleted all but one of my colorways…  Not sure what that was about, but “Stuck-in-Gum Sheep” (more hanks to come!) seems to be the favorite any way, and is still up and running.  Wonder what it is about the lovely pink that’s so appealing?  While I will get my original colorways back up ASAP, I also have some super fun NEW colorways coming, including some self striping!  And as always, I’m open to custom requests and suggestions 😀  Here’s hoping this will all happen in a timely manner.  😉

Pick it Up!

20130409-100951.jpg

What to do, what to do…

I’ve been working on my husband’s super bland alpaca hat. I even finished it. Then, Mr. Vanilla Hat Guy said it was to short. *sigh*

I decided rather than frogging the top of the hat I’d pick up stitches around the bottom. I’ve been attempting to pick up stitches ever since. I’m really hoping I won’t have to pick out my cast on, and frankly I’m not totally sure that would work anyway.

Anyone have suggestions on adding an inch to a finished hat? This thing is crazy making.

Dying Fail

So I managed to spend some time dying my yarn for the little sheep’s baby blanket recently.  I used the same hot water dying method I showed off recently.  Apparently, not my best decision.

I loved the result from the first attempt with the sock yearn.  I knew that attempting to dye all 4 hanks of a much larger worsted weight yarn would never work in my little pot… but two at a time didn’t seem out of the realm of possibility. Turns out that if I wanted the two hanks to be evenly dyed, this method was a fail…

Dying Fail

The hank on the right was apparently the yarn closest to the top of the pot (I did make an attempt and swirling the yarn so that no one hank would be more on top than the other), and the yarn on the left got only the left over dye that managed to seep down to the bottom of the pot.  *sigh*

I did still attempt dying the other two hanks together (more swirling this time!) and they did seem more even, but the pattern I’m hoping to go with would require all 4 hanks.

I’m going to try over dying the one oddly pastel version of this dye lot and we’ll see how that goes.

In the mean time, here’s a picture of 2 out of 4 of my critters…

Linus and Leah

Leah was not amused that Linus encroached on her snuggle spot.